The error message "An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist" has resurfaced many times over the years.
At times it only occurred when the addon Start (Default Group) was set to Automatic or Mandatory, sometimes it appeared to occur randomly independent of how an addon was started.
For some instances, SAP had provided a fix via a PatchLevel or in other cases Coresystems found a Workarounds to circumvent this behaviour.
As of 23rd November 2020, SAP added the following paragraph to SAP Note 1323680:
3. Add-on fails to start with error message "An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exits".
Slow initialization of the add-on or add-on connection timed out.
Go to folder %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\SAP\SAP Business One\.
Locate file 'b1-current-user.xml' and edit "ExecutionTimeOut".
By default the time is 20000 (20 secs). Increase the 'ExecutionTimeOut' to a higher number.
addon does not start, token, automatic, mandatory
There is currently no permanent solution available for this behaviour. The following workaround has been found to help avoid this issue.
- Install the attached addon coresuiteSupport (coresuiteStartUp)
- Set the addon Start (Default Group) for the additional addon to Automatic or Mandatory (the same as the coresuite addon!)
- change the addon order so the coresuiteSupport (coresuiteStartUp) starts before the coresuite addon
Older SAP Business One Versions:
- According to SAP, Note 1669331 was created for error message An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist and the fix has now been included in 8.82 PL5.
It appears that the issue occurs as the SAPbouiCOM.exe is not available yet at the moment when the addon is trying to connect.
To our knowledge, this issue has resurfaced starting with SAP Business One 9.2 PL08, particularly in HANA environments. We will keep investigating this behaviour, and update this FAQ with our findings.
Should the above workaround not overcome the issue, please contact support.